Thursday, August 30, 2012

REVIEW: Ember (Death Collectors, #1) by Jessica Sorensen



What if you knew when someone was going to die?


For seventeen-year-old Ember, life is death. With a simple touch, she knows when someone will die. It’s her curse and the reason she secludes herself from the world. The only person who knows her secret is her best friend Raven. 

Then she meets Asher Morgan. He’s gorgeous, mysterious, and is the only person Ember can't sense death from. So when he pushes into her life, she doesn’t mind.

But when unexplained deaths start to haunt her town, Ember starts questioning why she can’t sense Asher's death and what he may be hiding.


Review: (Contains Possible Spoilers)

I'm going to hang my head in shame as I admit to never having read anything by Jessica Sorensen before. It's not because I haven't wanted to. I actually have a few of her books on my Kindle just begging to be read. But you know how it is, there are so many books you want to read that unfortunately some get lost in your TBR pile. But I've now dug them out and plan on reading them ASAP!!

Now, if you love your books a bit dark then Ember is the book for you. Darkness and death seep from it's pages. And personally, I loved it!!

17 year old Ember has been dealt a crappy life. If her missing criminal father, her drug addicted absent mother, her depressed brother and the fact that she's pretty much an outcast in her community aren't enough then there is the fact that she can sense death. With the slightest touch Ember sees in vivid clarity the scene of how the person she touches will die!! So she does her best to avoid it. She goes to great lengths to have no physical contact with anyone. But that doesn't always work. And she's seen the horrible and graphic deaths of so many people. But then she meets the new guy in town, Asher Morgan and when he touches her there is quiet and calmness and the absence of death. I loved Asher and I loved the romance between him and Ember.

We have a bit of a love triangle in this book, but then it's not really because I think that whilst there is another male, Cameron vying for Ember's attention there really isn't any competition. But this whole cast of characters will leave you guessing as to their goodness or to where there loyalties lie. Things and people aren't always as they seem so that you are left guessing throughout the book. And it sure keeps you on your toes.

Another element of the book that I enjoyed was the little snippets of poetry between Ember and Cameron that are interspersed throughout the story. There's not a lot of it but it really added another layer to the wonderful storytelling from Jessica Sorenson.

So for something a bit dark and thoroughly gripping and a story that will keep you guessing, grab yourself a copy of Ember. Now, I'm off to read something else by this amazing author...

4/5 Stars!

Links: Goodreads l Amazon

2 comments:

  1. I love Jessica Sorenson....Her Darkness Falls Series is awesome too! I just happened upon her Fallen Star series....I loved them and it hooked me!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting YA Book Addict. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...